Herbal Enema Therapy (Basti)
A Traditional Ayurveda Purification and Detoxification Procedure
Treatment details can be provided by appointment in Ojai or Zoom with herbal products mailed.
What is Basti?
One of the main procedures of Panchakarma Chikitsa, Basti karma concentrates on the elimination of the loosened vata dosha out through the rectum. The treatment involves the introduction of medicinal substances, such as, herbal oils and decoctions in a liquid medium, into the rectum of the person. This is because vata is predominantly located in the colon and bones. Herbal concoctions made of sesame oil are generally used for the purpose. Vata disorders can be effectively cured by Basti karma. Common cold, sexual disorders, constipation, distention, kidney, backache, pain in the neck region, vomiting and hyperacidity can also be cured by Basti karma.
Health problems commonly treated by Basti therapy
Based on Ayurveda, Basti can treat a number of health problems and uproot them, so that they do not occur again including:
- Lower back ache
- Inflammatory disorders like Gout, rheumatism
- Neurological disorders like sciatica
- Nervous disorders vata headache
- Sexual weakness, infertility
- Muscular atrophy
Latest studies in the field of medical science suggest that certain symptoms of asthma can be cured by this highly effective form of Panchakarma.
In addition, the therapy is often administered to treat the following:
- Loss of appetite*
When done properly, Basti is an effective treatment that has very few or no side effects on the body. The medication techniques used for the treatment are known as enemas. Gnerally, Basti karma can be adopted to people in order to rejuvenate the body, provide strength and longevity. (According to Ayurveda, the enemas are not suitable for people suffering from shortness of breath, chronic abdominal pain, bleeding from rectum, cough, diarrhea and severe anemia.)
Types of Basti:
There are Eight main types of basti, each with their own indications and contra-indications, however, here are the three types commonly provided:
Herbal Decoction Enema (Aasthapan-Nirhua Basti): This type of treatment is predominantly used to treat arthritic conditions and nervous disorders, obstruction of urine, stools and flatus; amenorrhoea and infertility. Herbal decoction and small amounts of oil are used to treat the ailments. This type of Basti karma is not suitable for malnourished and weak people or those suffering from tuberculosis, ascites, peritonitis, intestinal obstruction, dysentery, diabetes, skin diseases and asthma.
Oil Enema (Anuvasan Basti): Warm oil with small amounts of decoction is used in Anuvasan Basti. The treatment rejuvenates the body. People suffering from piles, obesity, intestinal worms, anemia and jaundice should not do Anuvasan Basti.
Nutritional enema (Bruhana Basti): This type of Enema is used for providing deep nutrition in select conditions. Traditionally, highly nutritive substances have been used, such as warm milk, meat broth, bone marrow soup and herbs like shatavari or ashwagandha.
- Basti karma is highly beneficial in cleansing and detoxifying the body.
- The strong treatment penetrates deep into the dhatus, while the mild treatment works on the superficial level of dhatus. Both the treatments are beneficial for the body.
- Secretions in the colon are promoted by Basti karma, thereby ensuring a good health.
- People suffering from constipation would find the treatment beneficial, because it promotes the liquefaction of ama and mala (waste products) in the colon.
- The palliative treatment helps the colon expel them. Similar to western enemas, the Basti karma increases colonic peristalsis, producing rapid elimination of the feces
Therapy requires one private consultations (in Ojai, CA or by Skype) plus herbal products.
For appointment details see
To set an appointment see
To know my views about your health please submit Online Health Assessment.